Compliance Training

qldwater provides this research as a service to the urban water industry.  If any errors or omissions are noted, please contact so that we can keep the information as up to date as possible.

This information does not constitute legal advice. Organisations should seek out legal advice or conduct their own investigations and assessments in regards to the training needs of their staff.  qldwater cannot and does not warrant that the information outlined in this document is comprehensive or current.

White Card – Construction Induction Training
The Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 Part 6.5, Division 1, Section 317 defines:
1.A person conducting a business or undertaking must not direct or allow a worker to carry out construction work unless 
a.the worker has successfully completed general construction induction training; and 
b.if the worker completed the training more than 2 years previously - the worker has carried out construction work in the preceding 2 years.
2.The person conducting the business or undertaking must ensure that - 
a.the worker holds a general construction induction training card; or 
b.if the worker has applied for but not yet been issued with a general construction induction training card, the worker holds a general construction induction training certification, issued within the preceding 60 days." 
Confined Space
Part 18 of the Regulation references Australian/New Zealand Standard 2865:2001 - Safe Working in a Confined Space.
The Standard provides detailed information on meeting minimum safety requirements for entering and working in a confined space. More specifically, relevant persons who are employers and self-employed persons must comply with the following sections of AS/NZS 2865:2001: 
  • hazard identification (section 8.1)
  • risk assessment (sections 9.1 and 9.2)
  • control measures (sections 10.1, 10.5, 10.11, 10.22, 10.30, 10.41 and 10.46 to 10.48)
  • training and competence (sections 11.1, 11.3, 11.6, 11.9)
  • emergency response (sections 12.1 and 12.2)
  • record keeping (section 13)
Confined Spaces – Code of Practice 2011
Workers and their supervisors must have the skills and knowledge to understand the hazards associated with working in the confined space, the contents of any confined space entry permit, and the control measures implemented for their protection. 
Training should be provided to workers who: 
  • enter or work in confined spaces 
  • undertake hazard identification or risk assessment in relation to a confined space 
  • implement risk control measures 
  • issue entry permits 
  • act as a standby person or communicate with workers in a confined space 
  • monitor conditions while work is being carried out 
  • purchase equipment for confined space work 
  • design or lay out a work area that includes a confined space. 
Regulation 76: The training provided to relevant workers must cover: 
  • the nature of all hazards associated with a confined space 
  • the need for, and appropriate use of, risk control measures 
  • the selection, use, fit, testing and storage of any personal protective equipment 
  • the contents of any relevant confined space entry permit 
  • emergency procedures. 
Nationally Recognised Training:  NWP219 Work Safely in Confined Spaces
Asbestos Removal The Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 Division 2
Friable Asbestos:
A class A licence is for businesses removing any amount of friable asbestos (material that contains asbestos and is in a powder form or that can be crumbled, pulverised or reduced to a powder by hand pressure when dry). A class licence holders must ensure the removal of friable asbestos is directly supervised by a nominated supervisor.
Non-Friable Asbestos:
Note: since the implementation of the harmonised work health and safety legislation on 1 January 2012, asbestos class B licenses will be issued to persons conducting a business or undertaking and not individual workers.

A class B licence only covers work for the removal of ten square metres (equal to about four standard sheets of plasterboard) or more of non-friable asbestos. The license does not authorise the removal of friable asbestos.
Class B licence holders must ensure that a nominated supervisor is on site or readily available to workers conducting the removal of non-friable asbestos.
Workers carrying out asbestos removal work for a class A or class B asbestos removal licence holder must hold a certificate for the unit of competency for the type of asbestos removal work being carried out.
The following units of competency are available at
  • CPCCDE3014A Remove non-friable asbestos 
  • CPCCDE3015A Remove friable asbestos 
  • CPCCBC4051A Supervise asbestos removal
Supervise Asbestos Removal
Licensed asbestos removal work must be supervised by a person nominated by the licensed asbestos removalist to WHSQ during the application process. The nominated asbestos removal supervisor must meet the prescribed competency requirements and must be:
  • present at the asbestos removal area whenever the asbestos removal work is being carried out (if the asbestos removal work requires a class A asbestos removal licence) 
  • readily available to a competent worker carrying out asbestos removal work (if the asbestos removal work requires a class B asbestos removal licence). 
A class A asbestos removal work supervisor must also be at least 18 years old and have at least three years of relevant industry experience. The nominated supervisor must have certification in:
  • CPCCDE3014A Remove non-friable asbestos 
  • CPCCDE3015A Remove friable asbestos 
  • CPCCBC4051A Supervise asbestos removal. 
A class B asbestos removal work supervisor must also be at least 18 years old and have at least one year of relevant industry experience. The nominated supervisor must have certification in:
  • CPCCDE3014A Remove non-friable asbestos 
  • CPCCBC4051A Supervise asbestos removal.
Work Safety at Heights
Managing the Risks of Falls at Workplaces – Code of Practice 2011
Implementing and maintaining control measures 
R. 37 You must ensure that the control measures you implement remain effective. This includes checking that the control measures are fit for purpose; suitable for the nature and duration of the work; are installed and used correctly; provide information, training and instruction to workers, including procedures for emergency and rescue. You should also cover: 
  • the type of control measures used to prevent falls 
  • procedures for reporting fall hazards and incidents 
  • the correct selection, fitting, use, care, inspection, maintenance and storage of fall-arrest and restraint equipment 
  • the correct use of tools and equipment used in the work (for example, using a tool belt instead of carrying tools) 
  • control measures for other potential hazards (for example, electrical hazards)
Competent person means a person who has acquired through training, qualification or experience the knowledge and skills to carry out the task.
Nationally Accredited Training: RIIOHS204A Work Safely at Heights
Elevated Working Platform
The EWP, Yellow card is a nationally recognised operator training program.
“The training program also meets the two key objectives of the OH&S Acts Which is To confirm the operators of specific types of EWPs have been trained in the safe use of the work platform; and The supplier, employer and user all have documentary evidence the required “duty of care” has been met or exceeded,”
The yellow card issued by the EWPAA is not a Unit of Competency from a National Training Package. 
Nationally Accredited Training: RIIHAN301A – Operate elevating work platform
Hazardous Chemicals
The licences that were currently issued by local governments for flammable and combustible liquids were abolished from 1 January 2012.
Person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) must manage the risk associated with using, handling, generating or storing a hazardous chemical at the workplace (risks from contaminants, hazardous atmospheres and exposure standards).
Requirements are consistent in terms of Safety Data Sheet (SDS), registers, labelling, training, restricted chemicals and health monitoring.
Forklift Operator
All existing Queensland licence holders for dogging, rigging, scaffolding, pressure equipment, cranes, hoists and forklift operation are required to convert to a renewable photographic licence for high risk work (HRW) by 30 June 2013.
High risk work licences are valid for five years unless suspended or cancelled. 
NOHSC 7019 (1992) - Operation of Load shifting and Other Specified Equipment provides guidelines which cover the minimum competencies required for safe use and operation of the specified industrial equipment.
All users, trainees and operators of industrial equipment covered by this national standard are required to:
  • hold a relevant certificate of competency unless they are undergoing supervised and/or accredited training; and 
  • have the necessary health and fitness required to safely operate the relevant type of industrial equipment.
Earthmoving or particular crane (EPC) (includes backhoes, front end loaders, excavators, rollers, skid steer loaders, dozers, graders and scrapers)
From 1 January 2012 earthmoving or particular crane (EPC) certificates were no longer required. 
From 1 January it is the duty of a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) to ensure competency of the operator when plant is operated, so far as is reasonably practicable.
However, a person conducting a business or undertaking that includes the use of plant must ensure the safe use and operation of those items, including the competency of operators.
Determining the competency of operators should already be a part of employment screening and daily pre-start procedures. A PCBU should consider the following when assessing plant operators:
  • Has the worker completed competency based training and assessment on the item of plant in question? 
  • Can the worker provide evidence of having previously operated the item of plant in question to perform similar tasks in a similar environment? 
  • Can the worker demonstrate knowledge of pre-start inspection requirements to ensure an item of plant can be operated safely? 
  • Does the worker have knowledge of the specific risks and control measures associated with the item of plant in question? 
  • Are there specific hazards or circumstances, associated with either the plant or the activity to be performed, which require specialist knowledge or experience? Does the worker meet this requirement? 
CPR/First Aid
The Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 Division 2
(2) A person conducting a business or undertaking at a workplace must ensure that—
(a) an adequate number of workers are trained to administer first aid at the workplace; or
(b) workers have access to an adequate number of other persons who have been trained to administer first aid.