Following the successful South-East Queensland Live Mains Tapping competition held at last year’s qldwater Innovation Forum, we are thrilled to announce the first Queensland Tapping competition to be held at this year’s Water Industry Operators Association of Australia conference at Logan on 7 June.
The 2016 title was taken out by the City of Gold Coast – completing the task in an impressive 1 minute and 49 seconds to finish ahead of challengers from Queensland Urban Utilities and Logan Water. In 2017 the competition is being opened up, but is strictly limited to 8 teams. (This may increase in future).
The prize this year is sponsored by Ixom and the winning team gets an impressive trophy and the opportunity to nominate a local charity to receive a $1,000 donation.
- Each team consists of 2 people.
- Each team supplied with:
- A 100mm DICL water main pressurised from a water tanker (or hydrant) will be set up on a stand.
- The competing teams complete a safe work method statement prior to commencement of competition.
- The 2 person team installs the tapping band and ferrule on the 100mm pipe, then tap the water main, install 1 metre of poly pipe and then install a ball valve on the end of the poly. When completed the ball valve is turned off, tools returned to tool box, and when the box is shut the time stops.
- The tapping is inspected for any leaks, if no leaks occur the time is recorded.
- There are likely to be two heats and one final. The fastest time recorded will be the winner.
Check out more photos from last year’s eventful challenge! The competition promises to be a conference highlight.
A warning – the 2016 winners are coached by a current Australian champion, so practice will be essential to topple them.
The 42nd Queensland Water Industry Operators Conference and Exhibition will be at the Logan Metro Sports Centre on 7 & 8 June. It includes great paper and poster presentations from operators from around the state, significant prizes and competitions, functions and networking opportunities and a very large trade exhibition involving suppliers of equipment and services from across the urban water and sewerage industry. Entry into the tapping competition does not include entry into the Conference, although access to the trade exhibition is free.
Please respond to email@example.com with: